09 July 2010

All-in-one Wonder

Recently I decided to get two lenses that I had never used before. The two were the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited and the DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited. For the longest time I had never seriously considered these two DA Limited lenses as I had other prime lenses which were either very close in focal length or I had zoom lenses that covered the same focal length. Well I'll start off with the DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited in this post.



First off like other DA Limited lenses, the build quality is reassuringly solid, perhaps not on the same quality as the FA Limiteds but nonetheless good enough. The lens is a 1:1 macro and focuses down to 0.139 m, has 9 aperture blades and covers an angle of view of 44 degrees. This ability to focus up close and coupled with the decent coverage make this a most versatile lens to use. From scenics to close-ups, this lens is a very capable all-rounder. I actually feel this lens allows anyone to come up with stunning images in a very short space of time.

There a lot to like with this lens: the bokeh from this lens is actually pretty smooth, the auto focus is by no means slow plus there's the very useful Quick Shift manual focus override. About the only thing negative I can think off about it is the slip-on metal lens cap and the short lens hood.

No comments: