10 July 2008

More with the DFA 100mm Macro

As much as I sometimes lament over Pentax's current version of the 100mm macro, the DFA 100mm has, I have to admit, proven to be a versatile lens in capturing a wide range of subjects.

The lens build quality uses a lot of plastic and has a tendency to hunt in low light. Pentax has slimmed it down in size and weight compared to the preceding FA and F versions and added the ability to focus manually in what is known as Quick Shift. It's not a lens I readily take an immediate liking to for the reasons above, but it does somehow give me the images that I like.



Case in point are the three images that I shot very recently. The first one was that of a rain cloud rolling in early in the morning and managed to capture this lovely image of sun rays peeking through the dark clouds. As the clouds were moving pretty fast, used aperture priority and dialled in some quick exposure compensation.



The image of the tiny fern was shot on a terribly overcast day. Had just a few moments to shoot before the heavens opened up with torrential rain. It was so dark I had problems focusing manually.



The last shot was a low key image that I was tinkering. Needed a dark metallic object and I remembered my carbon fiber monopod had a Manfrotto head that fit the bill perfectly. Decided to convert it to black and white as I felt it looked a little better than the pretty similar looking colored version. All images shot with the K20D.

No comments: