04 July 2008

Small Wonder: the DA 21mm Limited Pancake


Water's Edge

Just recently I chanced upon a used DA 21mm Limited that another photographer had put up for sale. Even though I've had the DA 16-45mm f/4 and more recently the FA 20-35mm f/4, I have always been somewhat intrigued about the DA 21mm Limited. Good build quality yet compact and small, and good optical performance all add up to a lens that is quite special. The lens is tiny and comes with a unique bayonet lens hood that has a window cutout.


Solitary

Well, now that I got the new K20D, I thought it was time to reconsider this lens. The lens gives the angle of view of a moderate wide angle and the 0.2 metre minimum focusing distance is sufficiently close for the kind of shots that I like to take.


Growth

I'm pleased to say the lens hasn't disappointed me one bit. It's been on the K20D a lot. The quick AF is definitely a big plus because focusing manually can be a bit tricky at this focal length and at a maximum aperture of f/3.2. Nonetheless I've been kicking myself for not getting this pancake sooner. It's just a versatile lens that delivers.


Intersection

Here a series of images that I'm doing for a personal photo book that I'm planning to self publish later in the year. All were shot with the DA 21mm Limited on the K20D.


Grain

2 comments:

SamCheng said...

Hi Dennis,

Stumbled your site from PentaxForum..I was browsing the Lensbaby2.0. hehe.

Really like the toning of the 21mm images. They are really nice. :D

I am actually going to Singapore this weekend. (have asked Frank for some pointers and might meet up with him if time permits).
I am so jealous there are so many Pentax users and such a buy&sell forum going on. I wish that was true for HK or Toronto.

Anyway, I have a blog www.sam.tron09.com if you are interested. Keep up the great photos, I will check back for updates :D

Sam

Denis_Lim said...

Thanks for the compliment. Hope you have a nice time in Singapore.